Phone support for MyWorksites is unavailable. Please have a look through our Support Portal for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and detailed guides to create Worksite and TMP applications.

For the processing status or queries specific to your Worksite or TMP application, you should contact the Road Controlling Authority (RCAs, Auckland Motorways Alliance, Auckland Transport or Christchurch City Council) relevant to your application. Phone support may be available for some RCAs. For any other queries, please email us at [email protected]