Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How can I update the principal or client for a worksite?
The principal contact is always the contact for the worksite client - so to update the principal you should update the client as follows: create a draf...
Thu, 25 Aug, 2022 at 3:26 PM
What are Access Acts and How can I add them to my application?
Access Acts or the Utility Operators' Access Acts can be found in the Worksite details section of the CAR application. These can only be accessed by an ...
Fri, 12 Apr, 2024 at 2:47 PM